Health Information & Reimbursement Specialist Certificate
Mission | Faculty | Outcomes | Coursework
The Health Information and Reimbursement Specialist Certificate program is designed to prepare students for entrylevel positions in health information and reimbursement management in physician’s offices, hospitals, ambulatory care centers, health insurance companies, and other allied health venues. The healthcare industry is facing significant changes in how providers and insurers generate, maintain, and communicate documentation related to medical records, insurance, coding, and financial reimbursement. Specialized training in this field will provide graduates with the skills and knowledge necessary to function effectively as an integral member of the healthcare team and enhance career opportunities for those currently employed in related positions.
Jane O’ Grady, email@example.com, 860-768-6393
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates should be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply and evaluate multiple sources of data relevant to the role of the health information and reimbursement specialist.
2. Utilize and compare reimbursement methodologies and procedure based payment systems.
3. Apply principles related to healthcare privacy, confidentiality, legal and ethical issues.
4. Use current Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software to manage provider reimbursement and patient health information.
5. Demonstrate proficiency in the use of procedural and diagnostic, coding references.
HIM* 101 Medical Terminology - 3 credits
HIM* 102 Intro to Healthcare Systems - 3 credits
HIM*210 Medical Coding 1 – 3 credits
CSA* 105 Introduction to Software Applications - 3 credits
MED* 112 Medical Insurance & Billing - 3 credits
BIO* 110 Principles of Human Body w/lab - 4 credits
HIM* 201 Health Information Mgt. Principles - 3 credits
HIM* 211 Advanced Medical Coding - 3 credits
PHL* 112 Medical Ethics - 3 credits
TOTAL CREDITS 28